-->Hello everyone this is Timothy! Philip asked me to contribute to the blog, and I am happy to accept the invitation. Ironically, my first contribution as a contributing writer is about contributions.
I was thinking the other day about how bad I have been over the years with fulfilling my obligation to tithe. The problem has never been that I don’t really want to or that I don’t see the reasoning behind it. I did always believe my Dad when he would say that whatever you give to God, you will get even more in return. And the few times that I would tithe, I would somehow get more in return. But I think that my thought process would usually go like this; Thought 1: ‘it’s the beginning of the week and I have this [insert small amount of money] that I am going to give to the Lord on Sunday.’ Thought 2: [Insert idea for wasteful way of spending money] Thought 3: ‘That is, unless there is something that I MUST spend it on.’ Of course, there would always be something to spend it on.
If we think about tithing logically, though, it makes perfect sense. For example, when we have money to be managed by an accountant or an investment advisor, we want to choose the most knowledgeable, most experienced person that we can find so that our money can be turned into more money. We also want the person with the most integrity and one who is trustworthy to manage it. So let’s think of the person with the most integrity, knowledge, experience, and trust (and wealth, and power, and clientele, and respect, etc.). God! There is no better candidate to manage our money that God. I suppose that is how we somehow get more in return. God is able to take our monetary investment in Him and turn it into more. Rather than thinking of it just as a gift to God, think of it as an investment; a low-risk, high-return investment that is morally sound. Of course, this is not the reason we should give to God, but it helps me to better justify giving money to God and hopefully it can help you do so as well.
One more point to consider. It is all God's money anyway, everything belongs to Him. I one wants to discover the level of trust and comittment to God, examine your checkbook.
ReplyDeleteI firmly believe that God honors those that honor Him. Maybe the return will be in this life, maybe it won't. Maybe it will be financial, maybe it won't. So it's hardly a good investment plan in the usual sense of the term, but definitely in the cosmic sense.
ReplyDeleteI think the other great thing tithing does is teaches us to live within our means. One of the reasons I really make a strong effort as a single man to tithe is that I know a day is coming when I'll have a whole family to support. If I can't take care of my money now when it's all being spent on me how will I ever be able to take care of it when I have others who depend on me? Tithing has helped me learn those kinds of lessons.
Isn't it great that God invites us to keep 90% of everything that comes our way, no strings attached. Wow - what a sweet deal!
ReplyDelete