With this new little one I think I am heading in new direction in parenting or at least diapering. I am all but settled on giving clothe diapering a fair shake. I would love to hear from anyone who has or is currently clothe diapering especially if your little ones are on the chunky side. I have read tons of different reviews and have discovered that different types (AIO, AI2, prefolds and hybrids just to name a few) and different brands (Fuzzibunz, GroVia, bumGenius and Happy Heinys for a taste of whats out there) fit kiddos differently. So any mommies out there with well endowed thigh babies I would really appreciate hearing from you.
What made me consider clothe diapers? Well, I have always admired those who do them, but always felt too overwhelmed to get into them. They are also expensive to get into initially until bumGenius came out with there Econobum which really sparked my interest. For $100 we can get a good supply, that's like a month and half of newborn disposable diapers! So the savings is what is driving this new adventure, but other aspects such as being less wasteful and gentler on the bottom is definitely adding fuel to the fire.
The two types of diapers that are most appealing to me are the GroVia AI2
The two types of diapers that are most appealing to me are the GroVia AI2
and the Econobum prefolds.
Any additional thoughts on these two types of systems are more than welcomed.


woo hoo and welcome to the bandwagon! :)
ReplyDeleteMy biggest piece of advice is to try one of those diaper trial companies. I am not happy with the bum genius. Nothing against the company, I just don't care for their velcro Sam is just so SKINNY. You may have a chunky baby, you may not. And if she is chunky, she might outgrow the BG pretty quickly.
Also, once you DO decide, diaperswappers is a great place to get gently used cloth diapers!
Call me if you have more questions, or just want to catch up!
-Kim
OK, so I've only been cloth diapering for 2 days, but I love it. I've never been so excited to change a diaper! This morning Daniel destroyed 5 diapers in a row, and it was so nice knowing that we could just wash them and use them again and that we didn't just throw away money.
ReplyDeleteAt first I was excited about the BumGenius Elementals. But at $24.50 a pop, we couldnt just buy a whole stash. When I went to Babies, Bottoms, and More, Elisa showed me the All-In-Twos like the Flip and the Econobum. I honestly went thinking I'd buy 6 Bum Genius diapers, but I compromised and did 3 of the BGs and a 6-pack of the Flip.I LOVE the Flips, and I'm thinking of adding Econobum to our stash too since they are compatible with the Flips. The nice thing is that you can swap out the prefold for a disposable, cotton, or organic soaker. They are so easy, and they are really cost effective. There is no stuffing these diapers, you just lay in the insert, and when you change the diaper, you just really change the insert.
Lily is pretty average in thigh size, but Daniel is a chunckster and they work really well on him. They contained all of his blowouts, thus far. I'd recommend the product and the brand.
The snaps are great too. I've heard not so hot things about BG velcro, so I knew that I only wanted snaps. It's nice that the same diaper that fits 11 lb Daniel also fits 26lb Lily.
Good luck with your search! I'm right there with you. If you decide to order, do look at Babies Bottoms and More. Elisa is a UD grad and is very knowledgeable!
Cloth diapers are the best. I washed many-a-bucket load, several loads a week, for 9 or ten years. It's a good way for dad to be of service to moma and babies like'm better. Disposables will always be handy when schedules or travel requires.
ReplyDeleteRuth's sensitive skin would not allow disposables-she would break out in a rash everytime we used them. But, all diapers have come a long way.
ReplyDelete