Did it really happen?
Did my first born already turn six?
The past year has been amazing in maturity for my First Born. 4-5 was a hard year. It was the year that concerned me the most. He was still not talking to anyone but family and showing signs of great anxiety in social settings. It was during this time that we both learned a very hard and sobering lesson. We learned that labels are dealt out like candy on Halloween. Being your own person only applies if you are an adult, maybe a teenager, but by no means a 4, 5, or 6 year old. Little ones are suppose to come in standard cookie cutter format, at least according to society. We were concerned as were some others about his delay in social behavior and his extreme shyness/anxiety. We went through testing to see where he was developmentally in different areas, by the end he was "tested" in four areas with a variety of results, from, "Why are you here, he is more than fine" to "With extensive therapy he may be employable." One "therapist" was ready to label him her third worst autistic case in 20 years. I am ashamed that I foolishly went along with any test and did not trust my heart that all he needed was time to grow and mature. We forget that not all kids are thrust into the system at 3 or earlier. While I don't feel we live a radically different life, I must remember that we do by today's standards. Our children have not been enrolled in sports or preschool or Sunday school. They do not know any of the main-stream cartoon characters. We have tried to focus our children on being part of a family and not part of a group of same age children. I think this has played a role in PT's social development as one Uncle observed that both of Paul Thomas' parents are not out-going and social butterflies, why would anyone expect him to be?
Well, that was a load off...What I really want to say is that by God's grace alone our oldest is being fashioned into a very amazing young man. He is so helpful and adores his siblings, particularly the littles. He is job oriented and a perfectionist; really what firstborn isn't?
Philip and I find ourselves picking up our jaw in astonishment as we watch him grow. We take no credit as it is all by God's grace.
So how do you celebrate an out of this world young man? With an out of this world cake of course.
This is one of my favorite cakes to make!
Did my first born already turn six?
The past year has been amazing in maturity for my First Born. 4-5 was a hard year. It was the year that concerned me the most. He was still not talking to anyone but family and showing signs of great anxiety in social settings. It was during this time that we both learned a very hard and sobering lesson. We learned that labels are dealt out like candy on Halloween. Being your own person only applies if you are an adult, maybe a teenager, but by no means a 4, 5, or 6 year old. Little ones are suppose to come in standard cookie cutter format, at least according to society. We were concerned as were some others about his delay in social behavior and his extreme shyness/anxiety. We went through testing to see where he was developmentally in different areas, by the end he was "tested" in four areas with a variety of results, from, "Why are you here, he is more than fine" to "With extensive therapy he may be employable." One "therapist" was ready to label him her third worst autistic case in 20 years. I am ashamed that I foolishly went along with any test and did not trust my heart that all he needed was time to grow and mature. We forget that not all kids are thrust into the system at 3 or earlier. While I don't feel we live a radically different life, I must remember that we do by today's standards. Our children have not been enrolled in sports or preschool or Sunday school. They do not know any of the main-stream cartoon characters. We have tried to focus our children on being part of a family and not part of a group of same age children. I think this has played a role in PT's social development as one Uncle observed that both of Paul Thomas' parents are not out-going and social butterflies, why would anyone expect him to be?
Well, that was a load off...What I really want to say is that by God's grace alone our oldest is being fashioned into a very amazing young man. He is so helpful and adores his siblings, particularly the littles. He is job oriented and a perfectionist; really what firstborn isn't?
Philip and I find ourselves picking up our jaw in astonishment as we watch him grow. We take no credit as it is all by God's grace.
So how do you celebrate an out of this world young man? With an out of this world cake of course.
This is one of my favorite cakes to make!
"Later" is still good to enjoy. It's also good to know more about what we already suspected about Paul Thomas:
ReplyDeletethat he definitely is an "out of this world" bright and enjoyable young boy. What else could he be.. coming from such good stock such as the Hoelschers and Blaxtons who employ the good graces of The Lord so well!
Another "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!" P.T.
Love it...even if it is late. And I can hardly believe he's so grown up. Such a sweet, loving, creative little guy...and all boy!
ReplyDelete