Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A lovely day

Sunday was such a lovely day. We went to Mass, had brunch with my beautiful Momma and hers then honored Our Mother with a May Crowning. As I stood outside with our two year during the Mother blessing (and most of Mass) I thought this is what Motherhood is about. It's not standing in the front to be acknowledged, no, it's shhhing the baby and rocking in the quiet corner. Motherhood is never about praising self (though you will not hear a louder voice than a Momma cheering on a cub), I learned that the moment my first was born...18 hours of labor and really, really hard work physically, mentally and spiritually became a complete afterthought once my boy was born. There was no medal waiting for me, no instead the entire ordeal was meant to give me the confidence to venture on into the most rewarding, challenging and amazing gift-motherhood. Oh yes, we mothers are bonded together with shared knowledge that we are doing some of the most menial and meaningful work daily and most of us are just winging it. We too often criticize one another, however I think this a lack of confidence in our self, but when one of us is criticized by an outsider only the bonds between mother and child are thicker. We understand what it is like to be running on a few hours sleep, dirty clothes and leftovers. We know and have been through those tough weeks. We get it. So as I stood there on Sunday holding my protesting two year old and caught the "I'm sorry" glance from Philip, I felt more than blest. My arms were full, our pew was full, my heart was full.


And I was not alone as the other Momma with a little one stood beside me in solidarity. 

4 comments:

  1. Mother's Day is definitely set aside for us mothers... we need to be humbled by sometimes ostentatious accolades and, better yet, homegrown pictures, notes, and gifts. A Day to reflect on our blessings/Blessings and Who it is Who gave us this ministry, To be stirred again into overwhelming gratitude for the quantity and quality of love generated through us and for us. Thanks, Julia, for your good reflection. My annual response to the Happy Mother's Day greeting is, "Thank you; I am a very happy Mother.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Grandma Driver for the reminder of the need to be humbled and accept the acknowledgements given on Mother's Day.
    Julia, thank you for the gift of your time and love. I am the "Most Blessed" of all, having my mother and the mothers of my grandchildren to love and learn from.
    Thanking God for all the mothers who have brought our families together. Thanking God for the love and guidance of our gentle Mother Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such touching sentiments. So true. And,oh, how we need that walk in solidarity with the other mothers...sometimes I think we underestimate how much we can hold each other up with a simple hug, opportunity to talk, or most importantly, a prayer. We need each other-at most every stage of mothering. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all of the beautiful comments. No judgment- we all are working, whether at home or away; we all need encouragement and advice; love and prayers. Love all of you mothers- physical and/or spiritual!

    ReplyDelete