We no longer have a two-year old. Since Labor Day weekend we have been living with a three-year old big boy. Yes, yes I am a tad late on this one, but so much happened that weekend and my little boy flew into big boyhood so quickly that I can hardly wrap my emotions much less my brain around it. The big "3" was the mark we established for one major milestone in particular: the disposal of the beloved "phy".
You see, I never intended on having a pacifier baby and foolishly returned all but one package of the volume control devices we received before PT's birth (foolish because over the course of three years of replacements we must have spent 100 bucks). Within a few hours of having him home we realized this little one needs oral stimulation like most need air. So for three long years, or all of his life, he had a phy... and in one day all that was to change. Talk about a nervous Momma of one super intense about to be phy-less three year old!
Here is how the day played out.
When asked what kind of Birthday Cake he wanted his only response was, "green" (the color, not the movement, thank you). Okay so a total green cake sounded a little less than delicious so how about a white cake decorated with green splashes.
First green sprinkles and three green candles counted out by the birthday boy himself.
Looking good.
Not quite finished...a green airplane!
And trash truck, which turned out to be very symbolic of the day's events.
Setting the scene.
Before we can indulge in green cake and presents there is one more ceremony to take place.
Grab your horn,
and your phys for a phy parade to the dumpster.
The Grand Marshall.
Regardless of how much this was needed it was still a bit of a heart-ache for me. I am glad the phys are gone, for they were a crutch for too many fits and cause for poor speech development along with countless other bad habits, but they were also attached to my baby boy and signified a part of babyhood. So as Paul Thomas tossed his phys in he also tossed in a piece of his dependence, moving towards a more independent young boy. All too soon we will be sending him to college.
Imediately following the phy toss, we raced in to begin the celebration.
He is in a state of shock.
What are the stages of grief?
Too stunned to blow out the candles.
Thanks Dada.
However a little trash truck lickin can go a long way!
Avery got enjoy the green airplane.
Yes, not too bad of a celebration.
Now many may wonder about how everyone has adjusted to life without a phy. We had major melt down the first night and next morning, but he did so much better than I thought he would. He is very matter-of-fact about the whole ordeal and continues to amaze us with just how big he really is.
Avery is a thumb-sucker...I am really dreading his 3rd birthday!
Makes me tear-up!
ReplyDeleteAh, yes...my second boy had (still has!) an oral fixation! He was the only one to use a binky, as we called it. The first day of Mother's Day Out at our church was his last day to use one. He fell right asleep for his nap and never used one again! I was very much relieved but nostalgic as well. Don't know what to say about thumb-sucking. That's a hard habit to break...I should know!! I was 5 or 6 when I finally decided to give it up! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome idea to have a parade!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the picture of him putting the candles on his cake. Very smoochable!
ReplyDelete