Five and half years ago I sat in Mass and felt a small squishy hand slide as far around my back as it could. The little boy sat quietly beside me watching not me and, well, not the priest, but his Poppy. His Poppy had his Gia wrapped in his arm, the same way I grew up seeing him do. The way, as a girl, I longed for him to put his arm around me in the same study embrace. The way I eventually longed for a husband to embrace and love me. It was a quiet, yet powerful symbol of love and protection and my little boy was trying his best to emulate it. He saw the meaning as well and knew it was powerful, somehow that action reflected a strong masculine love and he desired to show a love like that.
That was the first time it hit me...You men must be SUPER! Always, always, always there are eyes watching you, wanting to be just like you. There is no room for being super just around the littles and then being your regular old self the rest of the time. You see, my littles pick up on that lie all too quickly. Therefore, you must be super all of the time.
No I'm not just talking to Daddies, I'm talking to all men; Uncles, Godfathers, Grandpas, Priestly Fathers and even Big Brothers. Someone is looking up to you and wanting to fill your shoes someday; make sure your shoes are worthy.
Yes, I realize I left very little room here for you to be anything but super. I see no reason to. You men impact so very much of our future. Your examples set the stage for all the other young men in our family and society. You must be Super.
With all that said, thank you to all the men in the lives of my young men for being just that - Super.
For being worthy of emulation.
For wearing shoes well worth filling.
Thank you for being more than enough.
For being tender.
And patient.
And fun.
And brave.
Thank you for teaching lessons I can not.
Thank you for guiding Our Faith.
Thank you for being SuperMen for our children, especially our boys.
Happy Father's Day to all Men!


ReplyDeleteJulia does it again... lifting up the men in out life and "spelling out" why they
are on a pedestal, and must be the axle of life - for our little boys, particularly!
We are so blessed to see in words and pics ... that we have some of the best and brightest The Good Lord created. Happy Fathers' Day to all of them. Well done. good and faithful Julia.
Here I am, getting all misty-eyed again. Men are so wonderful, and it breaks the heart to know all the beating society gives them for being their wonderful, masculine, manly selves. Thank you, Julia, for saying this so well, with your words and pictures.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDelete